Content updates

You are here

List of all posts related to Content updates.

English

Sheet Music from the National Library of the Czech Republic

The set of thirty digitised music manuscripts from the National Library of the CR comes from the so-called Mozart Memorial, which was established in the National Library in 1837 as the very first Mozarteum in the world. It contains a representative selection of Mozart’s work, especially historically important copies and the first printed editions. Most of the volumes digitised in 2019 come from the turn of the 19th century; they contain handwritten copies of scores (mostly of Mozart’s concerts) and of the librettos of the operas La clemenza di Tito and Idomeneo.

English

Modern Manuscripts from the Military History Institute Prague

In 2019, the Military History Institute Prague provided access to another 36 manuscripts, most of which come from the 18th century and are written in German. A homogeneous group is formed by several treatises by Johann Andreas von Traitteur on the military events in the Rhineland at the end of the 18th century; other works include especially texts on military exercises, Austrian, Saxon and Prussian military orders, theoretical works on fortification engineering, and historical-military reports on various conflicts (e.g. the Austro-Turkish War in 1787–1791 in IIR F 373 and the campaign in Italy in 1797 in IIR F 469). French texts are represented e.g. by the work on the Fortress of Arad in Romania by Jean Baptiste d'Estienne de Vauguez (IIR D 780), three volumes on military theory (IIR F 252/1–3), and a binder’s volume containing texts concerning fortifications (IIR B 2335).

English

Manuscripts from the Library of the Benedictine Abbey in Rajhrad

Most of the eight digitised manuscripts from the Library of the Benedictine Abbey in Rajhrad were written in the Czech lands in the Middle Ages. They mostly comprise liturgical codices (the missals R 389, R 399; the breviaries R 393, R 581) and preaching codices (the postil by Antonio de Azaro da Parma with other texts, including a Czech prayer, in R 402; the homiliary R 404). The codex R 638 was partly written in German, mostly in the second half of the 14th century; it is decorated with numerous simple figural pen-and-ink drawings. The last of the digitised manuscripts comes from a different period – it is a copy of the decree issued by Rudolf II for the bishop of Olomouc Stanislav Pavlovský (R 662).

English

Printed Books from the Regional Museum in Louny

The Regional Museum in Louny digitised four early printed books or their collective volumes in 2019. The binder’s volume of Czech and Slovak educational texts and prayers S 6199 also contains some uniquely preserved printed books; it was formerly the property of the priest, writer and translator Juraj Ribay. The other books comprise a German cookbook from 1566 (S 4625), a German medical book with a herbarium from 1577 (S 4626), and an extensive guide to hunting and forestry from 1783 (S 5014).

English

Manuscripts and Early Printed Books from the Museum of the Jindřichův Hradec Region

The Museum of the Jindřichův Hradec Region provided access to another thirteen documents (nine manuscripts and four printed books) in 2019. The manuscripts coming from the 18th century comprise Czech and German prayer books. The owner of the manuscript RK 085, Josef Irmler, wrote in it short notes on the births, baptisms and deaths of the members of his family in 1728–1755. All the printed books also come from the 18th century. Three contain collections of prayers by Martin of Cochem; the fourth printed book is different, comprising Velmi pěkná historie o hraběti Jindřichovi [The Very Nice History of Count Jindřich] (shelf mark JK 0530), probably a uniquely preserved copy of the Jindřichův Hradec edition from the end of the 18th century.

English

Manuscripts from the National Museum Library

The National Museum Library digitised five volumes in 2019. Four medieval manuscripts went through the library of the Augustinian canonry in Roudnice nad Labem, but most of them are of foreign origin: they include an older Italian Bible (XVI A 5), a manuscript comprising the first part of the work of Bartholomew of Urbino Milleloquium sancti Ambrosii, which probably comes from Italy as well (XV A 4), and a codex written in France, containing Biblical concordances of the Bible by Hugh of Saint-Cher (XVI A 4); the missal XVI A 10 from the third quarter of the 14th century is of Czech origin. The last manuscript is the Czech Didactics by John Amos Comenius, a copy made around 1630 with Comenius’s handwritten changes and notes (II B 8).

English

Early Printed Books from the National Technical Library

The National Technical Library has provided access to twelve early printed books and their binder’s volumes from the 18th century. The printed books are written in German, with smaller parts in some being in French. In terms of content, these are mostly works on architecture. The oldest volume is an introduction to civil engineering by Augustin-Charles d'Aviler, printed in Amsterdam in 1700; some digitised prints contain only sets of copperplate engravings with views of individual buildings or their parts and their ground plans.

English

A Printed Postil from the Town Museum and Gallery Polička

The Town Museum and Gallery Polička has provided access to the Sunday and holiday postil by Vojtěch Šebestián Scipio-Berlička, printed in the Jesuit printing workshop in the Old Town of Prague in 1667–1668 (shelf mark K 222). The book is enriched by a number of woodcuts illustrating the Biblical text presented.

English

Manuscripts from the Regional Museum in Teplice

From the collections of the Regional Museum in Teplice, a thematically homogeneous collection of five codices, probably coming from the last third of the 17th century, was digitised in 2019. One of the manuscripts is written in Latin and contains ‘statuta philosophorum incognitorum’ and an unfinished copy of leafs written by the alchemist Michael Sendivogius; the others mostly use French and comprise sets of alchemical, medical, chemical, technical, and other guidelines and procedures. All codices are connected with the stay and activities of the alchemist Bartolomeus Mencelius at the castle in Teplice in the last third of the 17th century, after which they became part of the castle library of the Clary-Aldringen family.

English

A Gradual from the Collections of the Regional Museum and Gallery in Most

The Regional Museum and Gallery in Most has provided access to a manuscript referred to as the Unfortunate Hymnal from Most from its collections. The codex contains hymns for the Mass, but also for the Liturgy of the Hours. It was made for the brotherhood of Corpus Christi and the Virgin Mary at the church of the Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary in Most. Based on a contract from 27 July 1537, the town of Most commissioned the making of the codex to the scribe and illuminator Jakub from Pilsen. The manuscript was to be completed by 15 October 1538. In fact, however, it was not handed over to the users until May 1544. It has been damaged by the cutting out of a number of leaves of the manuscript, including all with illuminated decoration.

English

Pages